Skip to main content

Ibadan residents raise alarm over harassment, accuse soldiers of claiming their land

Residents of Mesiogo Estate in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, on Sunday raised an alarm that they are under continuous harassment and threat from men of the 2nd Division, Nigerian Army, Odogbo Ibadan who have allegedly been laying claim to their parcels of land. They appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari and other concerned personalities to wade into the crisis. The resident revealed that a letter directing them to evacuate their belongings latest tomorrow, Monday, November 26, 2018 by the Nigerian Army was giving them sleepless night
Spokesperson of Mesiogo community, Mr. Amos Ishola, while addressing journalists on Sunday, remarked that the claim by the army that the land in question belonged to them was a ruse, stressing that the Nigerian Army was trying to circumvent ongoing court processes.
Ishola added that the Army’s letter entitled, “Final quit notice of possession of Nigerian Army land at Adekunle Fajuyi cantonment Ibadan” dated November 12, 2018, demanding hundreds of thousands from landowners in the community was another grandstanding effort to take laws into their hands and use coercive power on “bloody civilians” living in the area.
A letter written to one of the landlords, Mr. Yinka Oyeniyi, by the Army authority and signed by EM Mafuyai, a colonel on behalf of the GOC, 2 Division, demanded that the affected landlord should quit within 14 days of receipt of the letter or be ready to pay an amount to the Recovery Committee of the Nigerian Army at Adekunle Fajuyi Cantonment, Ibadan latest November 26 (today) or risk being “forcefully ejected from the land and all rights of allocation made to you shall be revoked.”
Ishola, while speaking further, said the Nigerian Army was hellbent on wrecking the helpless and hapless citizens and further subject them to undue trauma by their latest letter.
He urged President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on the military authority to abide by the law and allow the ongoing matter to be dispensed with in the spirit of equity, justice and fairplay.
Ishola said, “Many of us are jobless. We are not taking up arms and we are helpless and harmless but we still have our right in a democratic dispensation; our rights to fair hearing, justice should not be taken for granted. We are already before the court of competent jurisdiction and they should allow equity, justice and fairness to prevail in determining the matter purely on its merit.
“They have their claim and we have our own claim too, let the court decide the matter on its merit. We are a set of defenceless people and we don’t want any trouble visited on us and our family members.
“We procured all the necessary documents for acquisition development of our property and they were duly registered with appropriate authorities. it is with both the state and local government. Some of us had C of O signed by a military administrator; a solider himself who would never had appended his signature on a military land.
“He must have ensured that all due processes were followed and the professionals in the land ministry, especially the surveyor-general would have ensured that there was no encumbrance before the governor gave out the CofO to some of our members”.
DAILY POST gathered that Oyo State High Court 11 presided over by Justice Ladiran Akintola had last year ruled that the status quo be maintained on the land, pending the final determination of the case instituted by Mesiogo Landlords Association.
The community had also written a letter dated November 19, 2018 to the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Survey, Secretariat, Ibadan requesting urgent intervention and clearance of Mesi-Ogo “Deed of conveyance dated March 3, 1965 and registered as no page 60 in volume 826 at the Lands Registry, Ibadan”.
However, spokesman of the 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Colonel Hassan Mohammed, Deputy Director, Army Public Relations when asked to speak on the matter, said he was not in Ibadan so he cannot comment on the matter.
Mohammad, in a brief telephone conversation with our correspondent, said, “I am not in Ibadan right now. I would not know what is going on there right now in Ibadan”.

badan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muslims call for boycott of Marks and Spencer toilet paper because they can see the "Allah" symbol on it

Muslims are calling for people to stop buying Marks and Spencer toilet paper because they can see the 'Arabic word for God on it.' A man recorded a video where he can be heard urging Muslim 'brothers and sisters' not to buy the toilet tissue which has a symbol he says looks like the Allah symbol. He said in the video:     Recently I bought toilet tissue from Marks & Spencer and when I opened one of them, it has the name of Allah, as you can see.     So please brothers and sisters, prevent yourselves from buying this particular toilet tissue, or try boycott Marks & Spencers, because every toilet tissue has the name of Allah on it.     Thank you very much, please share this video. Muslims quickly began commenting on the video while calling out M&S. One person said: ‘Shame on M&S. I never expected M&S to go so low morally. I support a full Boycott of M&S.’ Another said: "#boycottmarksandspencer!" As the video went viral...

President Buhari's ADC Profile: Mohammed Lawal, ML Abubakar Biography & Life History

Behind every successful man, they say, is a woman. Behind every successful president, we can say, is his aide-de-camp (ADC). Mohammed Abubakar, an army colonel, is the man behind President Muhammadu Buhari. One of those men whose words we don’t hear, but who emits golden silence. Abubakar was born on March 28, 1973, in Zaria, Kaduna state, to inter-ethnic parents from Edo and Kano states. HEAD BOY LIKE BUHARI Abubakar attended Nigerian Military School (NMS) Zaria from 1985–1990. Perhaps, as part of the workings of fate, Abubakar served as the head boy known as “Boy Regimental Sergeant Major” of his set, a position manned by Buhari decades back. ‘INTELLIGENT TO THE HIGHEST ORDER’ After his appointment as ADC in 2015, Nigerians took to social media to congratulate him. Some recognised him as their camp commandant during their National Youths Service Corps (NYSC). Bashir Ahmad, a Facebook user, who identified him as his camp commandant in 2006 in Kogi, describe...

Theresa May to Resign as UK PM June 7: “I have done everything I can”

Britain’s Prime Minister  Theresa May  has said she’ll step down from her position and as U.K. Conservative Party leader on June 7. She said this on Friday at a press conference in front of 10 Downing Street. May said she’s resigning after she’s tried, three times, to make Brexit a reality. “Ever since I first stepped through the door behind me as prime minister I have striven to make the United Kingdom a country that works not just for the privileged few but for everyone, and to honor the result of the referendum,” May said. She added: “I have done everything I can to convince MPs to back this deal. Sadly, I have not been able — I tried three times.” “I believe it was right to persevere….it is now clear to me that it is in the best interest of the country for a new PM to lead that effort,” May said. May held back tears throughout the speech and was visibly tearful as she concluded her speech.