Skip to main content

Apple says cheap battery replacements hurt iPhone sales

The easier it is to replace a battery, the less willing people are to buy a new iPhone Apple just revealed it’s expecting a $9 billion loss in revenue due to weak iPhone demand that’s partly caused by more people replacing their batteries, according to a letter issued by CEO Tim Cookaddressed to investors.

Last year, Apple admitted it was throttling older iPhone models to compensate for degrading batteries that caused the phones to sometimes shut down. It offered to cut its $79 battery replacement fee down to $29 as a way of apologizing.
The lower fee coupled with the greater transparency meant that more people in 2018 ended up swapping their batteries — instead of upgrading to the latest iPhone models, it turns out. Now that iPhone batteries are cheaper and easier to replace, fewer people are shelling out for new iPhones that can now cost up to $1,449. And once Apple admitted it was throttling older iPhone models, users became more informed on how to turn the feature off. Also, anyone who struggled with degrading battery life could simply replace it for a $29 fee instead of having to remember to turn on Low Battery Power mode or reach for an external battery pack. In 2018, many of the less pleasant quality of life issues for older iPhone models disappeared, and that may have meant people’s main reasons for upgrading to a new phone also vanished.
Today’s letter is simply guidance, though, not concrete sales numbers. But you shouldn’t expect to see any real numbers even if you wait. As of November 1st last year, Apple announced during its quarterly earnings call that it would no longer disclose how many units of iPhones, iPads, and Macs it had sold, effectively obfuscating how the company is doing in terms of demand. That’s another reason today’s admission by Apple is particularly significant.

Popular posts from this blog

Muslims call for boycott of Marks and Spencer toilet paper because they can see the "Allah" symbol on it

Muslims are calling for people to stop buying Marks and Spencer toilet paper because they can see the 'Arabic word for God on it.' A man recorded a video where he can be heard urging Muslim 'brothers and sisters' not to buy the toilet tissue which has a symbol he says looks like the Allah symbol. He said in the video:     Recently I bought toilet tissue from Marks & Spencer and when I opened one of them, it has the name of Allah, as you can see.     So please brothers and sisters, prevent yourselves from buying this particular toilet tissue, or try boycott Marks & Spencers, because every toilet tissue has the name of Allah on it.     Thank you very much, please share this video. Muslims quickly began commenting on the video while calling out M&S. One person said: ‘Shame on M&S. I never expected M&S to go so low morally. I support a full Boycott of M&S.’ Another said: "#boycottmarksandspencer!" As the video went viral...

President Buhari's ADC Profile: Mohammed Lawal, ML Abubakar Biography & Life History

Behind every successful man, they say, is a woman. Behind every successful president, we can say, is his aide-de-camp (ADC). Mohammed Abubakar, an army colonel, is the man behind President Muhammadu Buhari. One of those men whose words we don’t hear, but who emits golden silence. Abubakar was born on March 28, 1973, in Zaria, Kaduna state, to inter-ethnic parents from Edo and Kano states. HEAD BOY LIKE BUHARI Abubakar attended Nigerian Military School (NMS) Zaria from 1985–1990. Perhaps, as part of the workings of fate, Abubakar served as the head boy known as “Boy Regimental Sergeant Major” of his set, a position manned by Buhari decades back. ‘INTELLIGENT TO THE HIGHEST ORDER’ After his appointment as ADC in 2015, Nigerians took to social media to congratulate him. Some recognised him as their camp commandant during their National Youths Service Corps (NYSC). Bashir Ahmad, a Facebook user, who identified him as his camp commandant in 2006 in Kogi, describe...

Theresa May to Resign as UK PM June 7: “I have done everything I can”

Britain’s Prime Minister  Theresa May  has said she’ll step down from her position and as U.K. Conservative Party leader on June 7. She said this on Friday at a press conference in front of 10 Downing Street. May said she’s resigning after she’s tried, three times, to make Brexit a reality. “Ever since I first stepped through the door behind me as prime minister I have striven to make the United Kingdom a country that works not just for the privileged few but for everyone, and to honor the result of the referendum,” May said. She added: “I have done everything I can to convince MPs to back this deal. Sadly, I have not been able — I tried three times.” “I believe it was right to persevere….it is now clear to me that it is in the best interest of the country for a new PM to lead that effort,” May said. May held back tears throughout the speech and was visibly tearful as she concluded her speech.